Sunday 11 November 2007

Movie Review: Jab We Met

Powered by: Chakpak.com Jab We Met 

The return of the love story! It ought to be marked as a date of importance when in the commonest of movie themes, Hindi cinema took a break from the boy(rich or poor) meets girl (poor or rich) and then their parents fight to the inevitable end. Yawn… is how I started watching this movie at 8 pm, at the insistence of my newly turned adult daughter. Since she already knows everything there is to know about mankind my obsolete self had little choice in the matter.
I am glad I surrendered. The movie starts with a journey being undertaken by a two individuals. One a self pitying procrastinator and the other a 2007 terminator with a machine gun mouth. Both of them start their journeys like most of us in life. A little excited, a little disappointed, a lot of expectations. But then life always takes you where you want it to. (well almost always.. the message of the movie is the same).
Kareena Kapoor, please take a bow. You have done your illustrious genes proud. Such vivacity I have seen preformed rarely. The name that immediately comes to my clouded brain is Vivian Leigh a-la Scarlett-O-Hara. The director Imtiaz Ali will be patted on the back(thumped more likely) and treated with a big glass of lassi or something equally sinful whenever he is here for portraying the joi-de-vivire of the rural Punjab. So we forgive him for not showing the actual Bhatinda railway station. But the chosen house, the depiction of the Punjabi culture will always make Imtiaz my Bhraa (brother for the uninitiated). Shahid comes through with a superlatively restrained performance. And Dara Singh I have always been partial to. He can not make a wrong step. So there.
So whatever happened to the meano in me. Well, he is alive and well. The climax of the movie is very westernized and out of the synch with ethos of the movie. Ok, I don't mind the super mini skirts and the designer micro dhotis on imported models but an innocent little Gidda or a bhangra would have been better. Nevertheleass for all who do go and see the movie it going to be "Maujan hi maujan"

No comments: